Oct. 27, 2012
The Siena volleyball team has a lot on the line when it faces MAAC rival Manhattan Saturday at 2 p.m. The match is critical for the Saints' MAAC Tournament hopes, and also serves as the inaugural Dig Pink fundraiser for breast cancer research.
If you can't make it to the ARC, you can watch the match from your computer, tablet or smart phone by using the WATCH link at the top of the page.
Let's learn more about the Saints and Jaspers...
- This is Siena's inaugural Dig Pink match. Donations will be collected to help aid breast cancer research. The Siena men's soccer team has joined in the Dig Pink effort and will be raising money at their game today as well.
- The Saints have won six straight home matches, and nine of their last 12 matches overall.
- Lesli Akeo and Taylor Akana will be honored before the match. Akeo became the first Saint to reach 2,000 digs, and Akana was the fastest player in MAAC history to 1,000 kills.
- Akeo was named MAAC Libero of the Week for the second time this season Monday. She ranks fifth nationally with 5.96 digs per set.
- Rachel Stoklosa has reached double figure kills in 12 straight matches, highlighted by a career-high 19 kills in Sunday's match with Niagara.
- Sarah Sivertson had a career-high 61 assists in the earlier meeting between Siena and Manhattan. She is second in the MAAC with 10.8 assists per set.
- The Jaspers sit one game behind Siena in the MAAC standings, and defeated the Saints in five sets earlier this season. Their next three matches are on the road against Marist, Canisius and Niagara.
- Senior libero Julie Bies is the sister of Siena freshman defensive specialist Erin Bies.
- Freshman Sydney Volovski is a leading MAAC Rookie of the Year candidate. She is averaging 2.4 kills per set and hitting .222.
- Manhattan leads the MAAC with 18.21 digs per set
- Juliana Beherns ranks second in the MAAC in hitting percentage (.335)