Oct. 20, 2003
The Siena women's tennis program closed the fall portion of its schedule with an impressive 4-3 win over the University at Buffalo and a competitive match with Binghamton that was called before completion due to darkness. Ralista Hristova and Denisa Hluchova rallied to win tiebreakers to solidify the Siena win.
Hluchova and freshman Julia Lebedev each closed the fall season undefeated with victories on the final day of competition. Hluchova played third singles in each match, while Lebedev saw all her action at fourth singles.
Hristiva's won the first set of her match with Buffalo's Kristen Ortman 6-2, but suffered a 6-1 setback in the second to set up the tiebreak. Hristova bounced back to claim an exciting 10-8 win and the match. Hluchova held on for a 7-6 win in the first game, lost the second 0-6, but rallied to take the tiebreak 10-2 to help clinch the team victory. Lebedev and Meghan Slenkamp joined the dup with singles victories over the Bulls. Buffalo earned the doubles point, winning two of the three matches.
The Binghamton match did not get underway until nearly 5 p.m. and the two teams played until 6:15 at which point it became to dark to finish. Siena had won four of the first sets in singles competition before the break in action.
Hristova, Hluchova, Andrea Disponzio and Betsy Brookins travel to Dartmouth November 1-2 to partake in the Big Green Invitational.
1. (SC) Ralista Hristova def. Kristen Ortman 6-2, 1-6 and 10-8
2. (UB) Maggie Nenova def. Andrea Disponzio 6-3 and 6-0
3. (SC) Denisa Hluchova def. Kaitlin Fischer 7-6, 0-6 and 10-2
4. (SC) Julia Lebedev def. Lisa Wittman 6-0 and 6-1
5. (UB) Erica Zielinski def. Betsey Brookins 6-2 and 7-5
6. (SC) Meghan Slenkamp def. Onessa Williams 6-2 and 6-2
1. (UB) 1 & 2 def. 2 & 3 (8-0)
2. (UB) Michelle Kollovoa & 3 def. 1 & Sugam Langer
3. (SC) 4 & 5 def. 4 & 5 (9-7)