Sept. 28, 2002
The Siena Saints Women's Tennis team opened its Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference schedule with a 7-0 shut out over Rider University today. The match was played simultaneously with the men's match versus Rider which was also won by the Saints.
Leading the way for the women was #3 Denisa Hluchova with a 6-0, 6-0 whitewashing of Rider's Dana Previti. Hluchova, who has been nursing a sore shoulder for the past few days and unable to serve at 100%, punished her opponent with withering groundstrokes and elusive volleys. Her victory along with those of Nikki Mayer (#1) 6-1, 6-1 and Rali Hristova (#2) 6-2, 6-0 kept the Saint's top 3 singles players undefeated and upped their records to 3-0.
"She's a pleasure to watch on the tennis court," Siena coach Jeff Bloomberg commented. "Even without an effective serve she still was able to overpower her opposition. Her court coverage and shot selection is outstanding."
Also turning in a fine performance was the Saint's #4, Betsy Brookins. Brookins returned to last spring's form, when she went 9-2, showing excellent consistency and shot selection in crusing to a 6-3, 6-2 victory.
Gaining their first wins of the year were #5 sophomore, Brooke Fisher 6-3, 6-0 and #6 freshman, Meghan Slenkamp, 6-2, 6-2. The only loss for the Lady Saints came at #2 doubles where Fisher and Vicki Dunham dropped an 8-6 decision.
The Saints continue their conference schedule Sunday with a noon match against Iona College at Ersuline High School in New Rochelle, NY.
1. Nikki Mayer(S) def Meredith Dossin 6-1, 6-1
2. Rali Hristova(S) def Carolina Duval 6-2, 6-0
3. Denisa hluchova(S) def Dana Previti 6-0, 6-0
4. Betsy Brookins(S) def Logan Kapinus 6-3, 6-2
5. Brooke Fisher(S) def Stephanie Petrasko 6-3, 6-0
6. Meghan Slenkamp(S) def Gabby Brown 6-2, 6-2
1. Mayer?Hluchova(S) def Dossin/Previti 8-3
2. Duval/Kapinus(R) def Vicki Dunham/Fisher 8-6
3. Hristova/Slenkamp(S) def Petrasko/Brandi Plummer 8-1