May 12, 2006
The Siena women's tennis team dropped a 4-0 decision Friday morning to #15 Clemson in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in Clemson, S.C. The Saints hung tough in several matches before seeing their first trip to the NCAA Tournament cut short.
"I'm very proud of our team and the way we hit the ball," head coach Tim O'Brien said following Siena's initial NCAA Tournament appearance. "Clemson is an extremely talented team, and this was a great learning experience for our program."
The most entertaining match of the day was at top singles featuring Siena freshman Sarah Mayer and Clemson's Carol Salge. Both Mayer and Salge broke serve for the first six points, and the first set was tied 3-3 with Mayer serving. Salge fought off five game points and Mayer staved off two game points before Salge rallied to take a 4-3 lead. She won the next two points to take the first set 6-3, but the match was stopped once the Tiger's clinched victory.
Every Siena player took at least one point, but Clemson scored three singles victories following its doubles triumph to end the match.
Mayer and sophomore Taylor Barvoets teamed together at top doubles in a match that also was not completed. The two trailed 6-2 when Clemson completed victories in the other two matches.
Siena finishes the season with a 14-8 overall record. The Saints won the MAAC Championship in late April to clinch its first NCAA Tournament bid.
1. Carol Salge (Clemson) DNF vs. Sarah Mayer (Siena) 6-3, 0-0
2. Daniela Alvarez (Clemson) def. Taylor Barvoets (Siena) 6-0 and 6-1
3. Maria Brito (Clemson) DNF vs. Denisa Hluchova (Siena) 6-1, 5-1
4. Alexandra Luc (Clemson) DNF vs. Karina Davis (Siena) 6-1, 5-2
5. Kathi Gerber (Clemson) def. Julia Lebedev (Siena) 6-0 and 6-1
6. Marie Scriba (Clemson) def. Meghan Slenkamp (Siena) 6-1 and 6-0
1. Salge and Federica van Adrichem (Clemson) DNF vs. Mayer and Barvoets (Siena)
2. Alvarez and Luc (Clemson) def. Hluchova and Davis (8-0)
3. Brito and Scriba (Clemson) def. Sugam Langer and Molly Scullin (Siena) (8-1)