April 20, 2005
LOUDONVILLE, NY-- Siena women's tennis match at home in non-league play against Holy Cross University was suspended today due to rain. The Saints were leading 3-2 when rain forced the stoppage. Molly Scullin and Sugam Langer were both still on the court in their singles matches.
In doubles play, freshman Karina Davis and sophomore Sugam Langer fell at No. 1, 8-6. Senior Brooke Fisher and junior Meghan Slenkamp won at No. 2 by score of 8-1. Sophomores Julia Lebedev and Molly Scullen lost at No. 3 by an 8-4 margin.
Davis lost a 7-5, 6-0 decision to Kerry Trimmer at No. 1 singles. At the No. 2 flight, Lebedev claimed a 6-0, 6-3 victory against Carrie Simmons. Crusaders Katie Erwin fell to Fisher 6-3, 6-1 at the No. 3 flight. The Saints final point came from Slenkamp who took a 6-3, 6-1 decision at No.4 singles.
Fisher, the lone senior on the Saints roster was honored. While playing for the Green and Gold, Fisher was named Rookie of the Year and a year later she helped the Saints finish #2 in the MAAC. Last year she was honored with the Team Sportsmanship Award. Before play, head coach Tim O'Brien said a few words to honor Brooke, "Brooke is what Siena is all about. When we are able to send graduates of Brooke's caliber out as Siena graduates it reflects on what Siena is. Brooke is Siena. We could not ask for more."
The Saints (8-9) will travel to Flushing, NY on Friday, April 22 to take on MAAC rival Rider at 12:3 p.m.
1. Kerry Trimmer (H) def. Karina Davis (S), 7-5, 6-0
2. Julia Lebedev (S) def. Carrie Simmons (H), 6-0, 6-3
3. Brooke Fisher (S) def. Katie Erwin (H), 6-3, 6-1
4. Meghan Slenkamp (S) def. Amy Garrity (H), 6-3, 6-1
5. Sugam Langer (S) vs. Meg Moran (H), DNF
6. Molly Scullin (S) vs. Katie Guarino (H), DNF
1. Trimmer/Simmons (H) def. Davis/Langer (S), 8-6
2. Fisher/Slenkamp (S), def. Irwin/Garrity (H), 8-1
3. Bacon/Moran (H) def. Lebedev/Scullin (S), 8-4