April 19, 2006
ALBANY,NY--Siena and UAlbany split six singles competitions, but the Great Danes swept doubles play to earn the key point in a 4-3 win over the Saints in non-league women's tennis action at Dutch Quad Courts this afternoon.
After losing the doubles point, three early singles wins were not enough for the Saints (11-7, 6-1 MAAC) to defeat the Great Danes (9-4).
UAlbany's Christina Suarez captured the sixth singles match for the deciding point as the Great Danes snapped a two-game losing streak, while the Saints extend their losing streak to two. The loss marks the second time this season the Saints have lost back-to-back games.
Freshman Sarah Mayer lost her second single match of the season to Lisa Klarmann, who extended her unbeaten streak to 10 matches with a 7-5, 6-2 victory at No. 1 singles. Mayer finished off a perfect regular-season in MAAC play with a 6-0 and 6-4 victory at top singles against regular-season champion Marist, a performance that earned her MAAC Women's Tennis Player of the Week honors. Mayer finished the regular-season 7-0 in MAAC play as well.
The Saints will travel to Flushing, N.Y. to compete in the MAAC Championship, entering as the #2 seed in the league on April 21-23.
UAlbany 4, Siena 3
1. Lisa Klarmann (UA) def. Sarah Mayer (SC) 7-5, 6-2
2. Taylor Barvoets (SC) def. Kim Weltman (UA) 6-2, 6-2
3. Denisa Hluchova (SC) def. Courtney Michels (UA) 6-2, 6-3
4. Karina Davis (SC) def. Amanda Hall (UA) 7-6 (7-5), 6-0
5. Aimee Kern (UA) def. Julia Lebedev (SC) 6-2, 6-4
6. Christina Suarez (UA) def. Meghan Slenkamp (SC) 7-5, 6-3
1. Klarmann/Michels (UA) def. Mayer/Barvoets (SC) 8-4
2. Hall/Weltman (UA) def. Hluchova/Davis (SC) 8-5
3. Kern/Suarez (UA) def. Slenkamp/Sugam Langer (SC) 8-0