April 18, 2003
The Siena women's tennis team ended the MAAC regular season in fine Thursdy afternoon, defeating the Fairfield University Stags 5-2. The win improved the Saints conference record to 8-1 and their overall mark to 15-3. The match was played in less than ideal conditions as the weather was 40 degrees and overcast with a strong wind blowing out of the north.
Leading the way for the Siena women were senior Nikki Mayer who defeated the Stags #1 Diana Webb 6-2, 6-1, while freshman sensation Denisa Hluchova shutout Fairfield's Megan Stauffer 6-0, 6-0. Also posting straight set singles victories were #2 Andrea Disponzio and #5 Brooke Fisher. Both had to go to a tiebreaker to take their first sets, Disponzio winning hers 9-7, while Fisher had an easier time taking her tie breaker 7-0. The tiebreak wins took some air out of their opponent's sails as each cruised through their second sets 6-2, and 6-3 respectively.
Senior co-captain Eileen Gallocher made a valiant effort to end her collegiate tennis singles career. The 2000-01 Most Improved award winner, dropped her first set 6-0 and was trailing in her second 3-0 before she put it all together to tine the set at 6 games each. The Bayside, NY native then squeaked out the tiebreaker 9-7 to force a tiebreak 3rd set. In the tiebreak third Gallocher had three match points, but couldn't convert as she succumbed 14-12.
The women close out the regular season this Tuesday at 2:30PM when they take on the Holy Cross Crusaders at the Siena courts. It will also be Senior Day as it is the last collegiate match for Saints' seniors, Nikki Mayer, Eileen Gallocher and Vicki Dunham. Come and join us as we honor these three seniors for the four years they represented Siena College on the tennis court.
1. Nikki Mayer(S) def Diana Webb 6-2, 6-1
2. Andrea Disponzio(S) def Erin Reeves 7-6(7), 6-2
3. Denisa Hluchova(S) def Megan Stauffer 6-0, 6-0
4. Andrea Suriano(F) def Betsy Brookins 6-1, 6-0
5. Brooke Fisher(S) def Annie Mullouney 7-6(0), 6-3
6. Christina Chacharone(F) def Eileen Gallocher 6-0, 6-7(5),(14-12)
1. Mayer/Disponzio(S) def Webb/Reeves 8-6
2. Hluchova/Fisher(S) def Mullouney/Alyssa Haddad 8-4
3. Suriano/Stauffer(F) def Eileen Gallocher 8-2