After the Saints and Red Foxes split the six singles matches, the Saints regrouped and took two of the three doubles matches to earn the doubles' point and the win. Leading the way for the Saints were #1 Nikki Mayer, #5 Brooke Fisher and Meghan Slenkamp at #6 singles. The three took their singles matches in straight sets while the Red Foxes outlasted the Siena women at 2, 3 and 4 singles.
Slenkamp, who was in the lineup because of the illness of the Siena's #2 Rali Hristova, didn't let her team down. The Pitman, N.J. native built a 4-1 lead in the first set only to see it disappear as her opponent took the next four games, and the lead at 5-4. Meghan rallied back to send the set into a tiebreaker, which she won 7-4. This seemed to give the former South Jersey High School Player of the Year the confidence she needed, as she went on to steamroll her opponent in the second set 6-1. For Slenkamp, and the team, it was a big win, because with it came the #2 spot in the upcoming MAAC championships.
With the team score knotted 3-3, the three doubles matches were played to decide the doubles point and the victory. The Siena women, came through behind a strong 8-5 win by Denisa Hluchova and Brooke Fisher at the #2 spot. This, coupled the #1 team of Mayer and Andrea Disponzio earning a 9-7 victory created the margin that gave the women their 14th victory of the year against only three losses.
The women travel to Fairfield on Thursday where they play the Stags in their final regular season MAAC match. Start time is 1PM.
1. Nikki Mayer(S) def Yana Krugly (6-1, 6-0)
2. Diana Perachio(M) def Andrea Disponzio (7-5, 1-6, 6-3)
3. Yana Tikhonko(M) def Denisa Hluchova (7-5, 6-7(5), 6-3)
4. Courtney McGeever(M) def Betsy Brookins (6-4, 6-4)
5. Brooke Fisher(S) def Colleen Kelly (6-4, 6-4)
6. Meghan Slenkamp(S) def Tara Dolan (7-6(4), 6-1)
1. Mayer/Disponzio(S) def Perachio/McGeever (9-7)
2. Hluchova/Fisher(S) def Krugly/Tikhonko (8-5)
3. Dolan/Katie Szymanski(M) def Brookins/Slenkamp (9-8(5))