April 14, 2003
The Siena College women's tennis team got back on the winning track with a 7-0 victory over Canisius Sunday afternoon in Buffalo. The match was the last home match for the Griffins who are ending their participation in intercollegiate tennis at the end of the current season.
The Saints used a makeshift lineup against the Griffins, with Denisa Hluchova and Brooke Fisher moving up to second and fourth singles respectively while Meghan Slenkamp played #5 singles and senior, co-captain Eileen Gallocher at #6. At first doubles, Nikki Mayer paired with Andrea Disponzio while Rali Hristova & Denisa Hluchova played #2. Third double was not played as Canisius defaulted the position. The results were not unusual, as the women recorded their eitgth shutout of the year.
With three matches left before the MAAC Championships, the Saints are looking toward this Tuesday's contest versus rival Marist College. The Red Foxes are currently in fourth place in the conference. A victory on Tuesday will give the Saints a strong case to be seeded second at the Tournament, which begins on April 25th at the National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, N.Y.
"Everyone on the team knows the importance of the match this Tuesday," Siena coach Jeff Bloomberg said. "We need to show the rest of the conference that we are for real, that the win over Loyola a week ago was not a fluke. A win over Marist will do that."
Match time has been moved to 1PM on Tuesday and will be played at the New York Racquet Club in Poughkeepsie.
1. Nikki Mayer (S) def Kiwanna Felton 6-0, 6-0
2. Denisa Hluchova (S) def Jenelle Kostran 6-1, 6-0
3. Rali Hristova (S) def Anne Nguyen 6-0, 6-0
4. Brooke Fisher (S) def Kristen McKay 6-1, 7-5
5. Meghan Slenkamp (S) def Andrea Meyer 6-2, 6-0
6. Eileen Gallocher (S) \def Kara Fahey 6-1, 6-1
1. Mayer/Disponzio(S) def McKay/Meyer 8-0
2. Hluchova/Hristova(S) def Felton Kostran 8-0
3. Gallocher/Slenkamp(S) default