April 9, 2005
The Niagara University women's tennis team won its 28th consecutive regular-season Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference match with a 7-0 shutout of Siena College late Saturday at Sportsplex.
With the win, the Purple Eagles extended its current winning streak to three, improved to 9-7 overall and 5-0 in the MAAC. The shutout was the fourth in the last seven matches for Niagara.
Head Coach Tim O'Brien was pleased by the play of his top two players. "Julia (Lebedev) played the best match of her Siena career in her three set lost today," O'Brien said. "She showed today that she has moved up to the physical demands of Division 1 tennis. I was also very proud of the way Karina conducted herself in playing at the #1 position."
1. Mariam Al-Shikarchy (NU) def. Karina Davis (SIE) 7-5, 6-0
2. Danielle Greiner (NU) def. Julia Lebedev (SIE) 6-1, 7-6 (5)
3. Kendra Daigler (NU) def. Brooke Fisher (SIE) 6-4, 6-3
4. Jacquelyn Cary (NU) def. Meghan Slenkamp (SIE) 6-2, 6-5
5. Julianne Prokopich (NU) def. Julia Langer (SIE) 6-0, 6-3
6. Shella Dargout (NU) def. Molly Scullen (SIE) 6-0, 6-1
1. Al-Shikarchy/Greiner (NU) def. Davis/Langer (SIE) 8-3
2. Cary/Prokopich (NU) def. Fisher/Slenkamp (SIE) 8-1
3. Daigler/Dargout (NU) def. Lebedev/Scullen (SIE) 8-0