April 7, 2003
Though the weekend was cold and snowy, the weather couldn't cool off the red hot Siena women's tennis team. Friday it was a 4-3 victory over MAAC defending champion Loyola, while Sunday it was a 7-0 pounding of the Saint Peter's College Peahens. The win, the team's seventh in a row, improved the Saints' record to 12-2 overall and 5-0 in the MAAC. In recording their 12th win of the year they broke the old mark of 11 wins which was set in 1990-91.
The shutout was the seventh of the year for the Saints. The match was played indoors on the Siena campus.
The Siena team opened the match with a sweep of all three doubles contests. In singles the team was led by junior, Andrea Disponzio, freshmen Rali Hristova and classmate Denisa Hluchova. All three posted 6-0, 6-0 straight set victories. For Hristova, a native of Sofia, Bulgaria, it was her 11th straight set triumph against just one setback--a three set loss to close the fall season. The Peahens defaulted at #1 and 6 singles when both their players became ill during the doubles and couldn't continue.
Tuesday the women are scheduled to travel to Poughkeepsie where they will take on the Marist Redfoxes whose only MAAC loss has come at the hands of Niagara University. Match time is 3PM.
1. Nikki Mayer(S) def Melissa Mottola Default
2. Rali Hristova(S) def Maria Djukic 6-0, 6-0
3. Andrea Disponzio(S) def Priscilla Davies 6-0, 6-0
4. Denisa Hluchova(S) def Jennifer Meyerson 6-0, 6-0
5. Betsy Brookins(S) def Jennifer Tango 6-4, 6-2
6. Brooke Fisher(S) def Sabrine Housanna Default
1. Mayer/Hluchova(S) def Mottola/Djukic 8-1
2. Disponzio/Fisher(S) def Davies/Meyerson 8-4
3. Eileen Gallocher/Meghan Slenkamp(S) def Tango/Housanna 8-3