April 6, 2003
The Siena College women's tennis team swept the top four singles matches and went on to defeat defending four-time MAAC Champion Loyola Friday evening at the Tri-City Racquet Club in Latham. The loss was only Loyola's second in four years against a MAAC opponent. The match was moved indoors due to the freezing rain and sleet that fell throughout the evening.
The Greyhounds jumped off to a 1-0 lead by winning 2 of the 3 doubles matches. But the Saints stormed back as #1 Nikki Mayer, #2 Rali Hristova and #4 Denisa Hluchova all posted straight set wins to put the Siena women within 1 match of victory.
It was Andrea Disponzio's straight set win at #3 singles that decided the match. Disponzio took the first set quite handily and was leading 4-0 in the second when everything started to unravel. The Siena junior dropped four of the next five games and had triple match point in game 10, but couldn't convert. She then went on to lose the next game also to fall behind 6-5 before getting back on track to power her way to tying the score at 6 all to force a tiebreaker which she won with a service ace down the middle on her first match point.
"It was a great win for the Siena program," Head Coach Jeff Bloomberg said at the conclusion of the match. "Loyola doesn't lose matches by making unforced errors, you have to beat them. Tonight we did that. The women were focused and determined. The win will show the rest of the MAAC that we are serious contenders for the championship."
1. Nikki Mayer(S) def Carolyn Pilkington 6-1, 6-1
2. Rali Hristova(S) def Kaitlin Russo 6-2, 6-3
3. Andrea Disponzio(S) def Gina Turturiello 6-2, 7-6(4)
4. Denisa Hluchova(S) def Colleen Ruane 6-2, 6-2
5. Amy Nitch(L) def Betsy Brookins 4-6, 6-4, (11-9)
6. Jessica Liberator(L) def Brooke Fisher 6-2, 6-2
1. Mayer/Hluchova(S) def Pilkington/Russo 9-7
2. Turturiello/ Ruane(L) def Disponzio/Fisher 8-5
3. Nitch/Liberatore(L) def Eileen Gallocher/Meghan Slenkamp 8-0