March 31, 2003
Neither snow nor Manhattan College could stop the Siena Saints women's tennis team from a successful opening of the 2003 spring season. The Saints routed the Jasper women 7-0 in a match that was moved indoors due to an early spring snow storm. The victory raised the Saints conference record to 3-0 and 10-2 overall. It also marked the first time the women have won as many as 10 matches in a year since 1990-91 when they finished with 11.
In singles, all six Siena players were on fire as each recorded straight set wins while losing a combined total of only 15 games. Junior Betsy Brookins led the charge dropping only one game at #5 singles. Right behind her were the Silent Assassin, Andrea Disponzio, at #3 and freshman, Rali Hristova, in the #2 spot, both of whom rolled past their Manhattan counterparts by identical 6-1, 6-1 scores.
In doubles, it was the #3 team of senior, co-captain, Eileen Gallocher and freshman Meghan Slenkamp that showed the way with a 8-1 win. The #1 team of Nikki Mayer and Denisa Hluchova and the #2 duo of Disponzio and Brooke Fisher completed the doubles sweep with duplicate 8-3 scores.
The 7-0 victory was the Saint's third shutout in a row and runs their current winning streak to 5. It's the second time they have won 5 in a row during the 2002-2003 campaign. The women next take to the courts this Tuesday when they travel to Fairfield, Connecticut where they play Sacred Heart University in a non-conference encounter. Match time is 3PM.
1. Nikki Mayer(S) def Courtney James 6-3, 6-1
2. Rali Hristova(S) def Mary Jane McGuire 6-1, 6-1
3. Andrea Disponzio(S) def Shaleen Dastur 6-1, 6-1
4. Denisa Hluchova(S) def Meghan Smith 6-0, 6-3
5. Betsy Brookins(S) def Jessica Kulack 6-0, 6-1
6. Brooke Fisher(S) def Katie Cummings 6-2, 6-1
1. Mayer/Hluchova(S) def James/McGuire 8-3
2. Disponzio/Fisher(S) def Dastur/Kulack 8-3
3. Eileen Gallocher/Meghan Slenkamp(S) def Hannah Taylor-Noren/ Renee Leotta 8-1