March 22, 2014
Siena defeated Saint Peter's 6-1 in Jersey City Saturday, improving to 3-0 in the MAAC and taking a big step toward qualifying for the conference championships in late April.
The Saints won five of six singles matches and swept the doubles play to account for the final margin. Adina Ungurean-Halagian held off Ali Garrity in a wild three-set match at top singles for the Peacocks only point. Carly Holloway, Allysa Singh, Mitsuki Fukamachi and Jessica Macaluso each won straight set decisions for the Saints.
"Ali had the match winning point on her racket a few times and she played with a big heart," head coach Andy Christodoulou said. "Everyone else was effective, and at times devastating. Playing St. Peters at on their home court is always a tough proposition."
Siena returns to action next Saturday at home against Quinnipiac.
1. SPU Adina Ungurean-Halagian def. Ali Garrity (6-4, 7-5 and 13-11)
2. SC Carly Holloway def. Ivana Grbelja (6-2 and 6-2)
3. SC Allysa Singh def. Elena Melian-Puigventos (6-0 and 6-1)
4. SC Mitsuki Fukamachi def. Lucia Radovic (6-1 and 6-1)
5. SC Jessica Macaluso def. Vanessa Vogel (6-4 and 6-2)
6. SC Cassandra Braz wins by default
1. SC 1 & 4 def. 1 & 4 (8-2)
2. SC 2 & 3 def. 2 & 3 (8-2)
3. SC 5 & 6 wins by default