Erika Regan won a three-set match at sixth singles
March 10, 2013
UAlbany took two of the three doubles matches to claim the decisive doubles point in a 4-3 win over rival Siena Saturday in Schenectady. Maria Varano, Jessica Macaluso and Erika Reagan each won their singles matches for Siena.
"We love playing UAlbany," Siena coach Andy Christodoulou said. "It is a healthy, competitive rivalry. Today they were better than us by a slim margin. They are shot makers and we are grinders. They hit their shots and won the game. A lot of people were in attendance supporting both schools, and the tennis from both teams was very high quality."
The Great Danes won at first and second doubles to start the match with the key doubles point. The two teams split the six singles matches with UAlbany holding first, third and fifth singles and Siena winning second, fourth and sixth
1. UA Rocio Lopez-Alberca and Kristen Scott def. Jessica Macaluso and Cassandra Braz 8-1
2. UA Irene Santos-Bravo and Mirielle Hermans def Allysa Singh and Maria Varano 8-3
3. SC Brittany Filip and Elora Benfer def. Cathryn Crummey and Francine White
1. UA Lopez-Alberca def. Filip 6-2 and 6-2
2. SC Varano def. Santos 5-7, 2-1 (ret.)
3. UA Scott def. Singh 6-1, 2-3 (ret.)
4. SC Jessica Macaluso def. Hermans 7-6 (8-6) and 6-4
5. UA Crummey def. Braz 6-0 and 6-3
6. SC Erika Reagan def. White 6-4, 6-7 (6-1) and 10-3