Siena Women Make it Three in a Row With a 7-0 Whitewash of St. Bonaventure
March 5, 2003
The Siena College women's tennis team continued its winning ways in Florida with a 7-0 Victory over the Atlantic 10's St. Bonaventure. It was the second win over an A-10 foe and the third in a row since coming to Florida.
The women were led by the "Silent Assassin", Andrea Disponzio (Farmingdale/Farmingdale,NY) who took #3 singles without losing a game. #1, Nikki Mayer and #2, Denisa Hluchova each lost only one game while #5 Betsy Brookins and #6 Brooke Fisher lost only 2 each.
The tightest match was #3 doubles where the Saint's Meghan Slenkamp and Eileen Gallocher pulled out a 9-7 victory for their first win of the trip. Their win completed a 3-0 sweep of the doubles for the Saints.
"Finally, we got a win," Co-captain Eileen Gallocher said after the doubles match. "Meghan and I felt that we were improving with each match and it was nice to see it pay off."
Jeff Bloomberg, the Siena Head Coach, noted that two years ago the Bonnie's beat the Saints 6-1. He said today's win was a good indication of how far the team has come in the intervening time.
Wednesday, the women travel to New Port Richey to play Pasco-Hernandez in their final encounter before returning to campus on Friday.
1. Nikki Mayer (S) def Natalie Rumpel (6-0 and 6-1)
2. Denisa Hluchova (S) def Amanda Pesono (6-0 and 6-1)
3. Andrea Diponzio (S) def Michelle Kearney (6-0 and 6-0)
4. Rali Hristova (S) def Jasmine Jaysingh (6-0 and 6-3)
5. Betsy Brookins (S) def Jen Iannone (6-1 and 6-1)
6. Brooke Fisher (S) def Kasey Mutzel (6-2 and 6-0)
1. Mayer/Hluchova (S) def Rumpel/Pesono (8-3)
2. Disponzio/Fisher (S) def Kearney/Jaysingh (8-2)
3. Gallocher/Slenkamp (S) def Iannone/Mutzel (9-7)