Taking On Pinehurst

Kylie Strijek and Kristen Bromley take a picture with Donald Ross, the famous golf architect.

March 18, 2014

Saturday had finally arrived, the day we were to begin the Pinehurst Challenge hosted by the College of Charleston.  After only driving around the course Friday night, the course was relatively unfamiliar to all who played, making round one a bit of a challenge.  Our tee times began late in the day; I teed off at 3:04 p.m., which made finishing the round before dark quite difficult.  Walking through the course, you can feel the history around you, with over a hundred years of championship golf being played on that course and others on the grounds, an experience I will never forget.  The beautiful weather made the day that much more special - its always a good day when its sunny and 70 degrees. 

As was predicted, all players from Siena except for Katie Nelson failed to complete their rounds before the sun set.  My group only finished 15 holes on Saturday, forcing us to finish the last three holes Sunday morning before starting round two.  Sunday was to be filled with a lot of golf; we not only had to finish our remaining holes, but also had an additional 36 holes to play.  To top it off, the weather was predicted to head south - the temperature was supposed to drop down to 50 degrees with lots of rain throughout the day.

Sunday morning came far too early, with breakfast beginning at 6 a.m.  The early wake-up was worth it for the Pinehurst breakfast.  In all my life, I have never seen such an amazing sight as the breakfast buffet at Pinehurst.  Anything and everything you could ever want was available, from eggs and omelets to breakfast meats to pancakes and fresh fruit.  Everything was so delicious - even the coffee was wonderful!  My personal favorite was a toss up between the French toast made with challah bread and the chicken apple sausage.  Both were absolutely amazing and a must have on your next visit to the resort. 

We arrived at the course at 7 a.m. for warm ups.  Those who did not finish their rounds the previous day were to tee off at 7:45 a.m.  All others began their rounds at 8 a.m.  When I stepped on to the tee box, the sun had only been up for 20 minutes.  If only they had a Starbucks at the turn...

As the round continued, the rain began to move in.  By the time my group reached our eighth hole it was time to bust out the rain suit and umbrella.  The further we went in our round, the harder it rained, completely soaking the course and the players.  After completing the 14th hole, we got the news: round three had been cancelled!  Our day came to an end much earlier than anticipated, giving the girls a break following round two. 

We finished in 12th place as a team; not our best finish but we look to improve as we head to Kentucky for our next tournament on March 30th.  As we left Pinehurst, we all reminisced on our experience and how much we appreciated the opportunity to play at such a prestigious facility.  This spring break will definitely be one for the record books and one we will never forget.