Sept. 24, 2003
Siena (1-3) swept the three doubles matches and then relied on its bottom four singles players in a convincing 5-2 tennis victory over Wagner to open the home season on a spectacular September afternoon in Loudonville Wednesday. Ed Roessler, Mike Aliotta, Dustin Temple and Corey Snitchler all pulled out singles victories to account for the triumph.
After Siena won the three double's matches, Wagner's top tandem of Greg Avola and Steve Johnson topped the Saints John Michalisin and Nick Julia at first and second singles respectively.
The Saints got the job done in the rest of the one-on-one competition, however, as Roessler defeated Dan Burns 6-4 and 6-2 at third singles to pace the effort. Snitchler's victory at sixth singles was the first of his young college career, and came on a 10-6 tiebreak after he and Brandon Sogluizzo spilt the first two sets.
Siena returns to action on Saturday, beginning its MAAC season at Rider.
1. Greg Avola (W) def. John Michalisin 6-3 and 5-7 (10-6)
2. Steve Johnson (W) def. Nick Julia 7-6 (5) and 6-2
3. Ed Roessler (SC) def. Dan Burns 6-4 and 6-2
4. Mike Aliotta (SC) def. Anthony Fernandez 6-1 and 6-2
5. Dustin Temple (SC) def. Jeff Quitmeyer 7-6 (3) and 7-5
6. Corey Snitchler (SC) def. Brandon Sogluizzo 1-6 and 6-0 (10-6)
1. 1& 3 (SC) def. 1& 2 8-3
2. 2& 5 (SC) def. 3& 4 8-4
3. 4& 6 (SC) def. 5& 6 8-3