Sept. 16, 2004
The Siena men's tennis team dropped its first match of the season Wednesday at Holy Cross. Senior John Michalisin picked up the only point for the Saints with a 6-0 and 6-4 victory at second singles.
Holy Cross started the match by sweeping the doubles competition. The team of Michalisin and classmate Brian Onofry suffered an 8-4 setback at top doubles. Mike Aliotta and Jose Loren were defeated 8-5 at second doubles.
Onofry battled back from a 6-4 loss in the first set of his singles match to claim a 6-2 win in the second. He was defeated 6-4 in the decisive third set. Loren and Shawn Kiernan each went to a third set in their match as well.
The Saints begin their home season Thursday against Quinnipiac.
1. HC B. Nely def. Brian Onofry (6-4, 2-6 and 6-4)
2. SC John Michalisin def. N. Cosalro (6-0 and 6-4)
3. HC M. Marano def. Mike Aliotta (7-6 (5), 6-4)
4. HC J. Deaver def. Jose Loren (6-0, 2-6 and 6-1)
5. HC R. Guido def. Pat Hutnick (6-2 and 6-3)
6. HC T Moran def. Shawn Kiernan (6-0, 6-4 and 6-3)
1. HC Nely and Cosalro def. Onofry and Michalisin (8-4)
2. HC Marano and Deaver def. Aliotta and Loren
3. HC Guido and Moran def. Hutnick and Kiernan