April 13, 2014
Final Stats |
Saint Francis (Pa.) won a 6-1 decision from Siena Sunday at Michigan Avenue Park in Schenectady in the Saints' final home match of the season. Seniors Ryan Schmitz, Peter Collins and Joseph Holm were recognized in a special Senior Day ceremony before the match. All three student-athletes earned MAAC All-Academic recognition throughout their careers.
Siena began the match by winning top doubles in an exciting tiebreaker. The senior team of Schmitz and Collins bested Washi Gervais and Rodrigo Tico 9-8 (7-2); however, Saint Francis responded by winning the other two doubles contests to claim the point.
In singles play, Eric Sumanaru forced his opponent to three sets before winning a thrilling 10-6 super tiebreaker for Siena's only point. Schmitz lost 6-2 and 6-4 to Washi Gervais at top singles, and Matthew Funiciello and Holm lost in straight sets at No. 5 and No. 6 singles respectively.
Siena's season concludes Thursday at Niagara.
1) SF Washi Gervais def. Ryan Schmitz (6-2 and 6-4)
2) SF Rodrigo Tico def. Peter Collins (6-0 and 6-3)
3) SC Eric Sumanaru def. Eli Cerdan (6-4, 4-6 and 10-6)
4) SF Chris Jimenez def. Darren Reisch (6-3 and 6-2)
5) SF Sergio Carvajial def. Matthew Funiciello (6-4 and 6-2)
6) SF Plamen Avuski def. Joseph Holm (6-3 and 6-0)
1) SC 1 & 2 def. 1 & 2 (9-8 (7-2))
2) SF 3 & 5 def. 4 & 5 (8-3)
3) SF 6 & Lawson Barter def. 4 & 6 (8-1)