March 10, 2003
Stetson men's tennis shutout Siena, 7-0, Thursday morning at the Mandy Stoll Tennis Center. The loss marked the opening of the 2003 Spring Season for the Saints.
The Hatters, who are now 5-1 on the season, started the match by taking the doubles point after winning at all three positions.
In singles, Stetson won at all six spots. Senior Aleksander Antonijevic (Banjaluka, Bosnia-Herzegovina) improves to 3-1 in singles for the spring after winning his first match at the no. 1 spot, 6-0, 6-1, over Siena's Brian Onofry. At the second position, Christian Moe (Stabekk, Norway) topped John Michalisin, 6-1, 6-3. Freshman Birger Soiland (Stabekk, Norway) earned his first win at the third spot defeating Ed Rossler, 6-2, 6-0, and Mario Alberto Cayo (Lima, Peru) won, 6-0, 6-0, over Josh Magarik at no. 4. Senior Vittorio Fratta (Montevideo, Uruguay) and freshman Jason Cordova (Lake Mary, Fla.) picked up wins at the fifth and sixth positions.
Stetson will be on the road this weekend as it travels to Macon, Ga. to face Atlantic Sun Conference opponent Mercer Friday at 2 p.m. The Hatters will then play Georgia State & College in Milledgeville, Ga. on Saturday at 9 a.m. and Savannah State in Savannah, Ga. on Saturday at 3:30 p.m.
Stetson 7, Siena 0
1. Aleksander Antonijevic (Stet) d. Brian Onofry (Siena), 6-0, 6-1
2. Christian Moe (Stet) d. John Michalisin (Siena), 6-1, 6-3
3. Birger Soiland (Stet) d. Ed Rossler (Siena), 6-2, 6-0
4. Mario Cayo (Stet) d. Josh Magarik (Siena), 6-0, 6-0
5. Vittorio Fratta (Stet) d. A.J. Ernes (Siena), 6-0, 6-0
6. Jason Cordova (Stet) d. Dustin Temple (Siena), 6-0, 6-1
1. Moe/Soiland (Stet) d. Magarik/Onofry (Siena), 8-6
2. Fratta/Cordova (Stet) d. Michalisin/Rossler (Siena), 8-4
3. Stubbs/Cayo (Stet) d. Earnes/Eric Reuter (Siena), 8-6