Men's Soccer Tie Snaps Loyola's 23-game MAAC Winning Streak

Oct. 25, 2002

Box Score

BALTIMORE (Oct. 25)--Freshman Vinnie Piscopo scored his second goal of the game in the 84th minute, just 17 seconds after Siena's C.J. Melilli had put his team ahead, to give the Loyola men's soccer team a 2-2 tie with the Saints in a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) game played at drizzly Alumnae Field Friday afternoon.

Piscopo's goal concluded a wild eight-minute stretch in which the Saints (2-7-3, 2-0-2 MAAC), trailing 1-0 well into the second half, got an unassisted 25-yard volley from Melilli to tie the game in the 76th minute and another Melilli goal in the 83rd minute to take a 2-1 lead. The Greyhounds (6-4-3, 3-0-1 MAAC) responded off the ensuing kickoff as Juliano Adriano de Oliveira's pass to Miguel Abreu was sent across the penalty area to a waiting Piscopo.

"We were fortunate to get the tying goal and the result," said Loyola head coach Mark Mettrick. "Siena played extremely hard and extremely well right from the beginning."

The tie breaks a string of 23 consecutive wins in MAAC regular-season play for the Greyhounds dating back to a 1-1 tie against Iona at Curley Field in October 1999. Loyola's unbeaten streak in MAAC games does extend to 28 (26-0-2), however, dating back to a 1-0 loss at Marist in September 1999.

Loyola had eight shots to one for Siena in the first half, taking a 1-0 lead in the 37th minute. Piscopo got behind a wall of Saint defenders on an attempted clear and took a through ball from Bill Law, converting a one-on-one opportunity with Siena goalie Jonathan Hicks.

Melilli's tying goal was a hard volley into the upper right corner of the net, foiling a Loyola clear attempt. His go-ahead goal came as a result of Alejandro Vazquez, who crossed a pass from the right corner to the near post.

Siena's John Witkiewicz had the best chance for either team in the two overtime periods, getting behind the Loyola defense for an apparent one-on-one opportunity with Loyola goalie Reb Beatty, but Witkiewicz slipped on the wet turf and his shot scooted wide right.



The Greyhounds had 20 shots to 11 for Siena, but shots on goal (8-7) were nearly even. Beatty had four saves for Loyola, including a diving stop on a Tom Santoro blast late in regulation.

Loyola also remained unbeaten in overtime (10-0-6) in Mark Mettrick's three seasons as Greyhound head coach.

Siena plays its final road game of the 2002 season when the Saints visit Rider Sunday at 1:00 p.m.