Siena Efforts Fall Short Against Hartford in 9-8 OT Loss

April 5, 2005

Final Stats

HARTFORD, CT - Seven men's lacrosse players on the Saints roster scored in the 9-8 overtime loss to the University of Hartford, who needed a fifth quarter to hinder a late comeback by Siena on Tuesday night at Trinity College's Jessee/Miller Field.

Sophomore Tom Harris scored the sudden-victory goal with 51 seconds left to play in overtime off an assist from junior Matt Holman. Siena had clawed its way back from an 8-5 deficit in the final six minutes of regulation to force the four-minute overtime. The Saints' Matt Walsh completed the comeback with nine seconds remaining when he scored off a feed from Greg Powell.

Hartford, which improved to 2-6 overall, got a solid performance from freshman Alex Finkelman in goal. Making his first career start, Finkelman made a career-high 14 saves to pick up the victory. Siena goalie David Jalette made eight stops on the night.

Siena (1-7) scored the first goal of the game to take the early lead, but Hartford came right back with scores from Andrew Rohmer, Will Volet and Josh Wasson-McQuigge to snatch a 3-1 lead. The Saints added a man-up score to close the first quarter and pull within 3-2.

The Hawks opened the second quarter with three goals in the first five minutes. Siena answered with a goal in the final five minutes of the stanza to go into the half trailing 6-3.

The Saints made it 6-5 with the first two scores of the third quarter. Holman then stepped up for the Hawks, closing the third quarter with a score and adding another nearly seven minutes into the fourth. The goals, which both came off assists from classmate Tim Chisholm, gave the Hawks an 8-5 advantage.

Siena started to close the gap when Walsh netted his first goal of the game with 5:21 to go in regulation. Powell then pulled the Saints to within one with 52 seconds remaining. After Matt Schuster won the ensuing face-off and Siena took a timeout, Walsh broke through for the game-tying tally to force overtime.



Justin Tesone and Ed Leahy scored their first goal of the season.

Siena returns home for action against Wagner on Saturday, April 9 at 2 p.m. Permitting weather conditions, the Saints will play their first game on their home field.