Old Spice Classic: Siena vs. Purdue (ESPN3 Sunday at 5 PM)
Marquis Wright goes up for a tough runner Friday night
Nov. 30, 2013
Watch | Listen | Siena Game Notes | Purdue Game Notes | Live Stats | Courtside Twitter Updates
The Last Meeting
November 24, 2013
West Lafayette, Ind.
Saints Come Up Just Short
The future may indeed be now for Siena Basketball. Siena's young guns gave Purdue all it could handle in a narrow 81-73 defeat in an un-bracketed Old Spice Classic game in front of 12,898 fans at Mackey Arena in West Lafayette, Ind.
Siena returns to action in the Old Spice Classic Sunday at 5 p.m. against Purdue in a nationally televised game on ESPN3. Purdue defeated the Saints 81-73 in a non-bracketed Old Spice Classic game last Sunday in West Lafayette, Ind. Now the two teams meet in the seventh place game, each hungry for a win.
Siena is coming off a 78-66 loss to Saint Joseph's Friday night. Purdue lost to #6 Oklahoma State 97-87 on Thursday and 69-54 to Washington State on Friday.
Use the links at the top of the page to follow all the action.
10 Things You Need to Know
1) The Saints fell behind by 24 points in the first half and got no closer than 11 in a 78-66 loss to Saint Joseph's Friday night. Siena, which went nearly seven minutes without a field goal, is now 0-5 all-time in the Old Spice Classic having lost all three games in its other appearance in 2008.
2) Siena played eight games in November - the most it has ever played in the month. Only New Mexico State and Stetson (9) played more games in November.
3) Leading scorer Rob Poole has shot just 6-26 (23%) from the field in the first two games of the Old Spice Classic. Poole made his first three three-pointers against Saint Joseph's, but he missed the other eight he's attempted in the Tournament.
4) The Saints out-scored Saint Joseph's 40-32 in the second half Friday, marking the first time this season they've out-scored their opponent after intermission.
5) Siena has averaged 23 offensive rebounds in its two Old Spice Classic games (29 vs. Memphis and 17 vs. Saint Joseph's). The Saints have also turned the ball over 18.5 times per game this weekend (20 vs. Memphis and 17 vs. Saint Joseph's) after averaging just 13.5 entering the Tournament.
6) Lavon Long (13) and Maurice White (10) each reached double figures against Saint Joseph's. Long reached double figures in Siena's first four games, but failed to do so in the next three. White hadn't reached double digits since leading the team with 17 points in the season-opening loss to UAlbany.
7) The Saints have been out-scored 174-116 at the line this season. They've committed 205 fouls, compared to 156 for the opposition.
8) Sophomore guard Rich Audu saw his first action of the season Friday night. Audu, who missed the first six games with an ankle injury, grabbed a rebound in two minutes played against Memphis. He followed that up with a four point, two rebound game in 16 minutes played against Saint Joseph's.
9) Evan Hymes was 0-4 from the field and had just three points in the Saint Joseph's loss. Hymes had reached double figures in five straight games before Friday night.
10) Sophomore Brett Bisping had his first career double-double with 11 points and a career high 12 rebounds against Memphis. That performance came on the heels of a career-high 16-point effort at Purdue Sunday.