March 9, 2013
Fresh off its stirring win over Marist last night the Siena men's basketball team plays top-seed Niagara in the MAAC quarterfinals Saturday at 2:30 p.m. at the MassMutual Center in Springfield, Mass.
Use the Buy Tickets link above to purchase tickets, and the Gameday Central link to access the free ESPN3 telecast, live stats and the Siena radio broadcast.
The winner of Saturday's game advances to play in the semifinals Sunday at 2 p.m.
- Siena's 29 MAAC Tournament wins since the league expanded to 10 teams in 1997-98 are far and away the most in the MAAC (Iona 19, Niagara 18). Since the expansion, the Saints have won more NCAA Tournament games (3) than the rest of the league combined (2).
- The Saints have now won at least one game in the MAAC Championships in all but two seasons (2005, 2006) since the expansion, and reached the quarterfinals in every year but one (2005).
- O.D. Anosike scored a season-high 24 points and took a career-high 21 shots in Friday night's win. The 24 shots were 10 more than he has attempted in any game this season. Anosike also equaled a career-high with five assists.
- Siena has reached the MAAC Tournament semifinals 12 of the last 15 years, and 17 times in its 23 years as a league member.
- Siena has won the MAAC Championship five times (1999, 2002, 2008, 2009 and 2010). The five MAAC Championships are the most for any league member since Siena joined the league in 1989-90. Iona, a charter member in 1982-83, leads all league members with seven MAAC titles.
- Three of Siena's four 70+ point games this season have come against Marist.
- Barring a National Championship, Siena will equal a program record with 24 losses this season. The Saints have lost 20 games for just the third time in program history (22 losses in 1995-96 and 24 losses in 2004-05). Siena has lost seven of its last eight games.
- The nine Saints averaging double-figure minutes have combined to miss 46 games this season.
- Siena is 5-2 when holding the opposition under 60 points and 3-21 when the opponent scores 60 or more. Siena is 0-16 when the opposition shoots 40% or better and 8-7 when holding the opponent under 40%.
- Siena has lost 19 of its last 21 MAAC road games. The Saints eight MAAC road losses this year all came by double digits.
- Rakeem Brookins (back) played 20 minutes Friday night after missing the last five games of the regular-season.
- Brett Bisping (skin rash) played four minutes Friday night after missing the last three games of the season.
- Rich Audu did not play Friday night (coaches decision) after playing double figure minutes in 14 of the last 16 games.
- Trenity Burdine has averaged 10.7 ppg and 4.1 rpg since returning to the rotation 12 games ago. Burdine has shot 55% from the field and 82% from the foul line over that stretch.
- Davis Martens has scored 63 points and grabbed 32 rebounds the last five games. Martens scored just 27 points in the first 26 games this season. He has reached double figures in each of the last four games after failing to do so in the first 70 games of his career.
- Imoh Silas has shot 73% (30-41) from the field the last 13 games.
- Six of Siena's eight victories have been by six points or fewer, and two have come in overtime (2-0). Eight of Siena's 23 losses have been by six points or fewer.
- Rob Poole is shooting 44% (32-73) from 3-point range against MAAC foes. The rest of Siena's team is shooting just 29%.