Jan. 18, 2013
The Last Meeting
January 11, 2013
Rahk and Roll
The streak is over. Is it ever. Rakeem Brookins beat the buzzer with a running, off-balanced 3-pointer from the left wing sending Siena to its first win since November - a 57-54 triumph over stunned Canisius Friday night in Albany.
Siena will look for its second win over Canisius in eight days and 14th in 15 meetings Saturday at 2 p.m. in Buffalo. You can listen to the free Siena radio broadcast or purchase the video stream through our Gameday Central link.
- The Saints have lost 13 of their last 14 MAAC road games dating back to the 2010-11 season. Siena went 1-8 in league road games last season, and is 0-3 so far this year. The only win came at Canisius last season.
- Brett Bisping (11), Imoh Silas (11) and Chris Leppanen (4) all scored career highs in Thursday's loss at Niagara.
- Evan Hymes has 36 assists and 23 turnovers over the last 10 games. Hymes had 27 assists and 49 turnovers in the first eight games. Hymes has made 50% (9-18) of his 3-pointers over the last three games.
- Rob Poole and Ryan Oliver each sat out Thursday night's game. Poole missed his third straight game with the flu and will not play Saturday. Oliver injured his knee in Sunday's win over Saint Peter's and his status is day-to-day.
- O.D. Anosike posted his nation-leading 12th double-double Thursday night with 15 points and 10 rebounds. Anosike was ejected from the game after receiving back-to-back technical with 7:40 to play.
- Siena has shot 71% (84-119) from the free throw line over the last six games. O.D. Anosike has made 67% (32-48) of his tries over that stretch.
- Freshman Rich Audu had a career-high nine points and a career-high four rebounds in the Saint Peter's win. Audu also hit the two biggest shots - back-to-back 3-pointers that pushed Siena's lead to double digits with just over four minutes to play.
- Rakeem Brookins averaged 15.5 points and 3.5 steals in the two wins. Brookins hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to win the Canisius game, his second game-winner of the season (No. Kentucky).
- Evan Hymes made 8-12 field goals and 4-6 3-pointers to score a game-high 20 points despite missing the first 10 minutes of the second half after getting poked in the eye against Canisius last Friday.
- The Saints have played 10 games decided by six points or fewer, and three of their four victories have been by five points or fewer (two coming in the final seconds, and one in overtime). Four of the last six losses have been by 19 points or more.
- In its four wins, Siena has held its opponents to just 52 ppg and 37%.
- Brookins leads the MAAC with 2.4 steals per game.
- Siena and Rider are the only teams in the MAAC with four players averaging double figures. Those four (Anosike, Poole, Brookins and Hymes) account for 75% of the team's scoring this season.
- The Saints have had at least as many turnovers as assists in every game this season.