Gameday Central - Siena vs. Iona - ESPN3 Friday at 7 PM
Freshman Ryan Oliver had seven points in 17 minutes in Saturday's loss to La Salle.
Jan. 3, 2013
The Last Meeting
January 23, 2012
Siena Hits Overdrive, Rolls Past Iona at Home
Every once in a while, the duck shoots the hunter. Exactly 20 days after suffering its worst Division I conference loss ever at the hands of highly-hyped Iona under the bright lights of Madison Square Garden, Siena shook off an early 20-2 deficit and drove right past the Gaels, 65-62, here at Times Union Center.
Siena hosts talented Iona Friday night at Times Union Center in the MAAC National Game of the Week on ESPN3. Use the Buy Tickets link to purchase tickets for the game, or simply pick them up at the TUC Box Office.
The Gameday Central Page includes the link to the free ESPN3 broadcast, the free Siena radio webstream, Gametracker live stats and information on both teams.
- Siena and Iona play their first MAAC game in nearly a month Friday night at Times Union Center
- The Saints are 11-1 against Iona at Times Union Center since the 2000-01 season, and the Gaels haven't swept the season series since 1996-97
- O.D. Anosike leads the nation in rebounding (12.7/game) and double-doubles (10). He became the 38th 1,000-point scorer in Siena history in the loss to La Salle Saturday.
- Siena's nine-game losing streak is the longest since the 2003-04 season when it lost 10 straight games. The Saints lost 15 straight games at the end of the 1995-96 season.
- The Saints are second in the MAAC in FG% defense (41.6%) and third in 3-point FG% defense (30.4%).
- Since returning to the rotation Dec.7, Rakeem Brookins has led the Saints with 14.8 points and 2.5 steals per game.
- Siena's 2-11 start is its worst ever through 13 games as a Division I program. The Saints last started 2-11 in 1970-71 (2-12, actually). Their worst start ever was 2-18 in 1959-60.
- Siena is 0-5 at home for the first time ever
- Six of the Saints' 11 losses have been by six points or fewer
- Siena is the only MAAC team with four players averaging double figures
- The Saints have had at least as many turnovers as assists in every game this season
- Siena ranks 342 of 347 schools in free throw shooting (58.9%)
- Siena has played just two games in the last 27 days. The Saints last win was 48 days ago (11/17)
- The Saints have not held a lead in any of their last three games. The team's last second half lead was in the final minute of the UMass loss (11/28)