Saints Mount Comeback, Open Decade Victorious

Jan. 2, 2010

Final Stats

Watch the Highlights

Siena's home win streak lives to see another day. Barely. Despite not leading for the final 37 minutes and13 seconds of regulation, Siena scored the final seven points of the second half and the first six in overtime to survive a serious scare from NEC favorite Mount St. Mary's, 79-76 at Times Union Center Saturday night.

The frontcourt combination of Ryan Rossiter and Alex Franklin bailed out the Saints in combining for 46 points as Siena extended its Times Union Center win streak to 28 games - tying for the third longest in the nation.

In the first meeting between the two programs since the Truman Administration, the Mount (3-10) soared to an early 14-point lead, 18-4, covering the first seven and a half minutes. Siena (10-4) missed nine of its first 10 shots and turned the ball over five times during a sluggish start.

But after recording just 10 points over the first 12-plus minutes, the Saints tallied 21 points over the remainder of the half to pull within 37-31 at intermission. Rossiter kept Siena in the game early, accounting for 21 of his career high 29 points on 8-for-10 shooting before the break.

Mount St. Mary's harbored a narrow lead for most of the second half, but was never able to completely pull away. The Mount held a 69-62 lead with 1:15 remaining, but following an Edwin Ubiles miss at the free throw line, Rossiter secured the put back plus the foul to bring Siena within five.

Following two key missed free throws by Mount's Jeremy Goode, Ronald Moore turned on the afterburners and blew down the court for a layup that brought Siena within two. With 32 seconds left, Moore again found himself in the middle of the action as he attempted two free throws for the tie. Entering the game shooting just 55% from the line, The Maestro calmly sank both shots to tie the game and send it to overtime.



Siena extended its run to 13-0 in the extra session by opening overtime with a 6-0 run to go on top 75-69 with 2:59 remaining. Mount St. Mary's went nearly four full minutes down the stretch in regulation and into overtime without scoring.

The Mount climbed back to within one with 19 seconds to go in overtime, but Kyle Downey knocked down two free throws and Mount St. Mary's missed a pair of threes in the waning seconds as Siena prevailed. Downey energized the Saints off the bench, scoring eight key points and making several key defensive stops.

Rossiter was a monster, posting 13 rebounds to go along with his 29 points while frontcourt mate Franklin scored all 17 of his points after the half while pulling down a season-high 16 rebounds.

Ubiles was also strong after a slow first half, scoring 11 of his 15 points after intermission. He pulled ahead of Jeffrey Robinson '90 into fifth place on the all-time scoring list with 1,663 career points. Moore tallied all nine of Siena's assists as the Saints surged to their sixth win in their last seven games.

Kelly Beidler led three Mountaineers in double figures with 19 points and seven assists, while Will Holland added 18 off the bench. The Mount did however hold Siena without a 3-pointer for the first time in 536 games. The last time Siena failed to make a 3-pointer was January 15, 1992 when the Saints defeated Fairfield 65-63 (0-for-6 from 3).

Siena did however capitalize at the free throw line, going 19-for-31 while Mount St. Mary's connected on just four makes in eight attempts.

Siena heads back on the road for the first time in 23 days when it returns to league action at Loyola on Monday night. The game, which concludes a span of four games in six days for the Saints, tips at 7 p.m. in Baltimore.