Saints and Stags Split in MAAC Opener

John Rooney ended the second game with an outfield assist

March 23, 2013

Final Stats

Siena scored five runs in the sixth inning of the second game to rally past Fairfield 7-4 and salvage a doubleheader split on Opening Day in the MAAC. Fairfield won the first game 4-3. The rubber game has been moved to 1 p.m. Sunday.

"We didn't play our best, but we showed some guts in the second game," Siena coach Tony Rossi said. "The kids fought hard after falling behind both games."

Siena sophomore Matt Gage struck out 10 in six innings in the opener, but suffered the hard luck loss. The Stags scored the first four runs of the game, but two were unearned. The Saints scored three runs in the sixth to make it a one-run game, but could never get the equalizer.

Fairfield scored single unearned runs in the first and second innings to grab a quick lead. Jake Salpietro singled home the next two runs in the fourth to help the Stags take command.

John Rooney singled home Siena's first run with one out in the sixth, Brian Fay walked with the bases loaded for the second, and Nick Wolyniec drove home the third with a ground out. The Saints left two men on in the sixth and eighth.

Rooney and Fairfield's Rob LoPinto were the only two players to post multi-hit games in the opener.

Mike Wallace pitched into the sixth to earn the win for Fairfield. Anthony DiMauro pitched 3.2 strong innings of scoreless relief for Fairfield, and Matt Quintana tossed two scoreless innings with three strikeouts for the Saints.

Fairfield got out to another quick start in the second game, scoring once in the first and twice in the second. Siena pushed two runs across in the fourth without the benefit of a hit to pull within 3-2, but the Stags tacked on another run in the bottom of the frame.



The game turned in the sixth when Fairfield made a pitching change and the Saints struck for five runs on three hits. Kyle Baldani and Tyler Martis had run-scoring hits to highlight the rally.

Siena starter Justin Brantley settled down after a rocky start to allow four runs in five innings and strikeout five. Neil Fryer earned the save with two scoreless innings of relief. The Stags had two hits in the seventh, but Rooney gunned down Keith Skinner at the plate to end the game.